2nd Class work suggestions March 30th – April 3rd
Hi 2nd class and parents/ guardians,
I hope you are all doing well and learning to cope with this most unusual time. Continue practising social and physical distancing and most of all, enjoy this time together. These curricular ideas are suggestions for the coming week ( March 30th – April 3rd )
Gaeilge – Abair Liom Let’s go ‘ag siopadóireacht’ (shopping) and revise all food words in Unit 02 and Unit 19. Your child can draw pictures and write words three times in their Gaeilge copy. Use the phrases Chuaigh mé go dtí an siopa agus cheannaigh mé … agus … . Níor cheannaigh mé … . Ba mhaith liom … https://www.twinkl.ie/search?term=bia
Maths – Topic – Weight Have a look at Chapter 24 Cracking Maths 2 for ideas. Because Easater time is approaching, lets talk about weight and the weight of our easter eggs ! Look into the kitchen press and the fridge and discover the weights of different items. 1 kilogram (kg) = 1000g (g) 1/2 kg = 500g, Measure out different weights of sugar or flour and compare. Brain Teasers Pg 38 Test 33
English – Topic Easter https://www.twinkl.ie/search?term=easter for lots of ideas for oral language, reading and writing activities related to Easter’s customs and traditions. Elicit or introduce a list of Easter words ( chicks, chocolate, egg hunt, daffodils …)from your child and discuss. Get your child to write sentences or a short story in their project copy and draw a relate picture or illustration. Please correct all misspelled words and make sure that all sentences begin with a capital letter, ends with a full stop and are gramatically correct. Use the Easter words as a spelling list.
SPHE / SESE – The life cycle of the chick – The story of chocolate – The Easter story – Signs of Spring
Religion – The Easter story ( You Tube usually has good clips, please preview before showing to your child) Ceol – Tin Whistle tunes in your child’s songs folder.
I hope these suggestions are helpful, best of luck for the coming week.
If you have any questions or want to upload some work pictures my email is email@example.com
Please also see below suggestions from the SET – Special Education Team
If you have any questions, you can contact us on our school emails, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Suggested Spelling Activities for First and Second Class from SET
Compose your own Mnemonics for difficult to remember words e.g.
Sure- Santa usually rushes everywhere
Friend- You don’t fri your friend/ i to the end will be your friend
Again- angry goldfish attack innocent nemo
- Look for rhyming words/Put words in families e.g. fold, hold, cold, sold, told etc
- Find little words inside big words
- Twinkl have super resources for spelling activities for all abilities.
- Other websites to use are
- Apps – spellingcity.com
- If you have Magnetic/plastic letters you can use the method
This is a method that is highly recommended.
Remember – the more books your child is exposed to will give them the ability to “see” if a word looks correct or not.
Emergency Work in the event of a school closure 1 March 12th
- Continue to encourage your to read age appropriate books and take time to read stories to your child (concentrate on your child’s understanding of the text – ask questions, get them to suggest alternative titles, endings … and predict what might happen next in a story. Or alternatively get your child to listen to audio books.
- Keep a short diary of events/activities and draw illustrations
- Revise addition tables and set themselves speed challenges.
- Pick some new or unusual words from their reading and learn how to spell them. Revise spelling lists in their Spell Well book and do any catch up necessary.
- Practice writing sentences in the cursive handwriting style.
- Write a summary of a chapter you have read from one of your books.
- Write a story using one of the following titles or come up with an idea for a story yourself. “The Magic Pen”, “The Clever Dog” “The Bag of Silver” or “The Young Detectives”.
- Illustrate your story. be creative and draw or paint pictures.
- Revise Mathematical topics covered to date, especially subtraction with regrouping, fractions, names of 3D shapes. http://www.topmarks.co.uk has nice resources.
- Do a mini-project on a chosen topic e.g. a favourite animal, a place they have visited, their favourite sport etc.
- Twinkl is a great site for lots of really good resources and they are offering free access for 1 month due to school closures which is brilliant.
- Special Education team work links below also
Useful links for 2nd Class
http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ (links to game sites)
http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/ – lots of great information on a wide range of subjects/topics
www.maths-games.org (different ages)
www.ictgames.com/literacy (spelling patterns and blending)
www.ictgames.com/weight.html (maths activity entering weights on scales)
www.iboard.co.uk/activities (games for various subjects, some free, some only by by subscription)
kids.nationalgeographic.com (animal facts and games)
www.bbc.co.uk/schools (various games – look for games suitable for Year 2/3)
Special Education Team – Emergency Work
Below are some really useful websites that you might like to have a look at:
www.readingbear.org – phonics
www.sightwords.com – good for sightwords
www.oxfordowl.co.uk – ebook library and other bits